Thursday, October 16, 2008

THE OFFICE among us

okay, sorry about my sappy, sicky rant this week. i probably should have just gone with my usual Highlights/Lowlights run down (and left the highlights portion blank) but i got carried away in my illness woes and puked them all out upon any unsuspecting reader. It did make me feel better. Just in case you were wondering.

So, on to some other random musing today. Maybe it's me spending a tad more time in the office without other co-workers here this week, but i'm starting to notice that we do, in fact, have THE OFFICE among us. I mean, i am not the most avid watcher of the show, although i would wager it's the funniest thing since Seinfeld. But here are THE OFFICE among us musings today:

1. I've worked in this building 2.5 years, and have requested that the toilet flushing mechanisms in the ladies restroom be inspected since the beginning of our tenancy here. To this day I am still required to do some stileto-booty-karate-kick to the thing and then wind it around several times before the commode eventually concedes defeat.

2. Another observation in the ladies restroom is the push-button faucets for handwashing which give you about 7.5 seconds of cold water with which to attempt to sanitize your hands. Maybe it's just me, but if one has just encountered observation #1, sanitizing hands will take A. warm water and B. refilled soap dispensers. (Thankfully, there is always ONE Dial pump on the counter beside the ADA required non-push-button faucet, with warm water, incidentally.)

3. We have gnats. When building maintenance was alerted, they brought in one 3"x2" GNAT TRAP to put in the supply/copy/fax/intern area of the office. Unfortunately, it has been there three months, and the occasional gnat still graces my personal air space at least once a day.

4. The people in other offices don't talk in the hallway. This has left us to weird akward bathroom moments (while all lining up behind single ADA sink) and bizarre glances at that guy with the blue tooth in the parking lot. You know those moments. If you try the standard, "Hi, How are you?" you are greeted with "Fine" (ARE YOU FROM MARS? WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?) Stare. I find humor in it.

5. Someone thought it clever to place the snack machine immediately adjacent to the door to the men's restroom. As in, if you are staring at the three year old selection of snacks in the antiquated machine, and you happen to daze off, you WILL get hit in the face by the door to the men's restroom by the next blue-tooth wearing investment officer to emerge.

6. The paper towel dispenser in the bathroom is on the otherside of the same wall to which my colleague's desk & computer rests against. And those investment officer types love to SLAM the lever on that dispenser several times and make her office space literally shake, several times a day. It's amazing. NO one thought of insulation? They've seemed to be slamming that lever a little harder this week due to the recent Wall Street fiascos too.

Alright, enough about my world... pls share some bizarre observation of your day to day OFFICE moments...

5 comments:

Tootie said...

re: #2, don't forget you really require at least 20 seconds to do a thorough hand wash job. 7.5 sec will just spread the germs a little more evenly over your hand space. re: #4, have you tried to engage past "fine", I mean flirt a little just to see if he is still human or if the aliens have started to use the blue tooth head set as part of their disguise. re: #5, don't you find the snack machine that much more appalling being beside the men's restroom where the 7.5 seconds of cold water may be deemed sufficient by said men and where the soap dispensers are probably always full from lack of use? re: #6, a true 'office' moment would be the removal of that dispenser lever altogether.

EssBee said...

First, I think your previous post about the sickies invading your house was completely warranted and you should no b apologizing for it. I hope you're feeling better, back among the living and that RM is sleeping again.

Second, I love that show too and think your list of issues is very compelling. :-) Almost makes me wish I worked in an office again.

pecanpiepuppies said...

I HATED the location of that stupid snack machine! I was always afraid some dude was gonna walk out still zipping up and then trying to make conversation with him in the hallway would have been the least of my problems.

Will and Valerie said...

Everytime I use the restroom there is a strange poster of a naked baby sitting on a toilet, instructing me on the proper way to use the rest room. Aside from being disturbed by having a naked baby going to the bathroom watching me, the first instruction leaves me baffled.

#1 is "Use toilet with care" - what does this mean? Are there people who use the toilet with reckless abandon? Or what exactly should I be doing to use to toilet carefully?

Anyway, just random office stuff from South Africa.

Will and Valerie said...

We have an amazing poster of a naked little kid using the potty in our bathroom with instructions on how to use the bathroom underneath.

Instruction #1 is "Use toilet with care" - are there really people who use the toilet carelessly?

So whenever I go, I am creeped out by a naked kid using the restroom looking at me using the restroom and I automatically wonder, is there something I am doing that's careless?

Hmmmm.