Tuesday, October 14, 2008

why can't i just get a new battery?

10 days ago RM started with some GI bug... LOVELY. Floyd was also graced by this for a couple days, complete with the sweats, chills, flu-like symptoms. So we go to our friend's wedding, in South Georgia, and complete diaper blowout outfit changes SLASH mini-bath with wet-wipes at rehearsal dinner, wedding reception, in the car during the several hr trek home, etc.

A week ago, I'm thinking, OK, are we all better?

Monday night RM started woke up warm, Tuesday I proceeded like normal, and by Tuesday afternoon the 104 fever had set in. And didn't leave until Saturday, after three trips to the pediatrician that week, blood work at the hospital, and a shot of "recephin".

It's no wonder after lots of traveling and no sleep for a week that my body conceded defeat and fell to the mighty strep throat this weekend. Seriously, the lady at urgent care on Sunday morning took one look in my mouth and said, "Wow, that's a gross throat." Why, Thank You. I thought. Leave said clinic and head to pharmacy to wait for Z-pak. While waiting, my car battery dies. Not in the "maybe someone in the store can jump it for me" kind of way, but in the "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK - this battery is ca put" kind of way. Insert Floyd coming to pharmacy with RM, trying to jump it, pronouncing it un-jumpable, taking RM and I home, then running all over town to get tools to remove battery, take it to Autozone for official time of death, and purchasing new one, going back to reinstall, and then getting Amy & Ole to come help bring the extra car home.
All the while, I'm at home sitting in a hot bath filing my nails. RIIIIIIGHT. Or, hugging the rim of the toilet puking up said Z-pak and calling for the crawling rug rat, wondering where he is in the house, hoping he's not chewing on an electrical cord. Finally get myself up off the bathroom floor, the boy in his crib, me in bed. Fast forward 24 hours, and I'm sending Floyd to the doc for a strep culture. Yep, he's got it too.

I don't feel any better today than i did on Sunday honestly. The only thing allowing me to talk or swallow are the 800mg of ibuprofen I've been allowed to take every 4 hours.

Also, RM has NOT resumed sleeping through the night. The two nights since i knew he was "better" i let him work it out. The first night it took 15 mins. Not bad. The second was on and off for 30 mins, but still okay. Last night either in some moment of weakness or stupidity or just sheer exhaustion, my body went back to last week's auto-pilot of going in there and nursing him back to sleep. It doesn't help that he's been boycotting every nap and bedtime for the last three days. It's a very strong effort on his part to keep the pity-party coming, I know. But then the doubts start coming on my end. Is he teething again? Could he be getting Strep?

I realize it's never going to end. When he's a little older, it'll be a whole new challenge. But how to tackle the sleep boycott now, where we are? And, how to stop nursing the baby who doesn't care for rice milk and has immediate runny nose ensue to any cow's milk or formula.

4 comments:

Kelley C said...

I don't have any helpful advice for you.... I just wanted to say that it sounds awful. I hope things turn around soon.

Will and Valerie said...

Oh friend, I am so sorry that it keeps going and going! My best wishes that the G's are all better soonest.

Tootie said...

hmmmm. this is a sad, sad state of affairs. I must call you very soon for encouraging, though distant (as in Colorado), words over the phone. I love you.

Amy Ross said...

I'm an old friend of Bryan and Erika's. I read your blog every now and again. I hope this will be something you can laugh at before too long! So sorry you've had such a bad turn of events! Hope everyone has turned a corner!