Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day



Dearest Floyd,

I started writing this little blurb Sunday. I'm going to blame my posting delay on several little excuses. Like being a single mommy for ten days whilst you've been away. Or my insane desire to 'get stuff done' because i'm pregnant, not living in my own house, and still needing to 'nest' you know. None of this matters.

Happy Belated Father's Day. You are not even in the same country now, but know that we are thinking of you often, missing you a lot, and eager to have you return by morning. When RM arrived in our world, I thought I knew you so well. But I definitely didn't know just how much your capacity to love, to work hard, to enjoy life, to feel pain, to know joy could grow and change because of this new role and relationship. Here are things that I want our children to know about their dad that I know this Father's Day. So RM, baby girl, and whomever else we're blessed with, here's a few little ditties about your dad:
1. He has a smile reserved only for you. It's a smile I never saw before RM was born, and it is fantastic.
2. You give him great peace. Life is crazy, work is busy, and we will toil and labor all of our lives on this earth. But know that when your dad wants to be calm, he relishes all it is to be "Da'yee".
3. He is still able to make me laugh like he did when we were dating. And he makes it seem so easy to be hilarious. When I am taking life too seriously, get your dad to make me see things in perspective.
4. He is the best friend you ever needed, or hoped for, or couldn't imagine on your own. God knows how much I need his friendship. Hopefully you will know this well as you grow up.
5. We might seem frazzled as we try to figure out how to care for you who have been entrusted to us, and we definitely won't get it all right, but your dad is the absolute best, and you are getting an incredible jump on life by getting to be his children. I believe that with all of my heart.

3 comments:

Jim and Sarah Howell said...

I love this, Danielle.

Sarah

Marijke said...

I've got tears in my eyes right here in Prague!

Will and Valerie said...

Oh Danielle, I teared up! Your letter is one of the reasons I can't wait to see what my own Will is going to be as a daddy. I'm still so very happy for you both!