Wednesday, November 05, 2008

reflections...

I've got a lot of thoughts running through my mind today. Disappointment with a party I thought I believed in, but that has failed miserably to truly serve the good of the people. Pride and honor in being alive and a voting citizen during such a time in our country. Concern for my son's generation. Hope that my skepticism will disappear with the inauguration of President-elect Obama.

No organization to these thoughts really, but I did want to list a few things, lest I forget the gravity of this day, and the tremendous awe of being a part of such a poignant day in history. First, an excerpt from Senator McCain's speech last night:


The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly.

A little while ago, I had the honor of calling Senator Barack Obama to congratulate him on being elected the next president of the country that we both love.

In a contest as long and difficult as this campaign has been, his success alone commands my respect for his ability and perseverance. But that he managed to do so by inspiring the hopes of so many millions of Americans who had once wrongly believed that they had little at stake or little influence in the election of an American president is something I deeply admire and commend him for achieving.

This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight.

I’ve always believed that America offers opportunities to all who have the industry and will to seize it. Senator Obama believes that, too.

But we both recognize that, though we have come a long way from the old injustices that once stained our nation’s reputation and denied some Americans the full blessings of American citizenship, the memory of them still had the power to wound.

A century ago, President Theodore Roosevelt’s invitation of Booker T. Washington to dine at the White House was taken as an outrage in many quarters.

America today is a world away from the cruel and frightful bigotry of that time. There is no better evidence of this than the election of an African-American to the presidency of the United States.

Let there be no reason now … Let there be no reason now for any American to fail to cherish their citizenship in this, the greatest nation on Earth.

Senator Obama has achieved a great thing for himself and for his country. I applaud him for it, and offer him my sincere sympathy that his beloved grandmother did not live to see this day. Though our faith assures us she is at rest in the presence of her creator and so very proud of the good man she helped raise.

Senator Obama and I have had and argued our differences, and he has prevailed. No doubt many of those differences remain.

These are difficult times for our country. And I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face.
Some musings around the web that I've enjoyed today:

A Little Thomas L. Friedman for ya...

Today we can Boast

A good little historical timeline on the racial divide around the world...

A good election analysis, with quote from Rep. Jeff Flake

Watching God at Work

My Boss' Statement on President-Elect Barack Obama

My Boss' Sentiments on Where Republicans have gone Awry

1 comment:

Team DeMint SC said...

Quite a day. Don't feel too bad about being skeptical. A little more skepticism of GOP leadership may have served us well a few years ago. I try to be a skeptical optimist.

-Ian