Wednesday, February 20, 2008

driving driving driving



this weekend my kid sister and i strapped the babies down for 24 hours in the car. Are we crazy? Maybe. But we took off to go see our grandfather in New Jersey who is in very poor health. It was our only chance to allow him to meet these two little great-grands of his. I've never lost a grandparent, and seeing that on the horizon now is very hard. I can see on my grandmother's face her exhaustion and fear of the unknown ahead. I can simplify the decisions in my own mind, but I cannot pretend that they are easy for her to make.

Highlights of the weekend: on a serious note, seeing my grandfather smile at his great grandchildren, and feeling him squeeze my hand. Watching my son laugh at my grandmother and give her a moment of joy in the midst of this difficult battle.

Lowlights of the weekend: did i mention we had two babies strapped in carseats for 24 hours in the car? Um... YEEEEAAAAHHHH... we survived.

1 comment:

Marijke said...

I put a couple of pics on bakercrowd.blogspot.com to capture the love you gave Grandad this weekend. Thanks SO much for coming - you two are a couple of truly amazing sisters. And to think that Erika is flying to New Jersey today from Colorado - with her little baby! Hope she manages a picture or two as well! Schelyn is too pregnant and has been nursing a sick husband. Thomas has had projects at school that kept him away. But GM and GD must be overjoyed to know how much you all care!