Saturday, October 17, 2009

i think the heavens opened, God reached down, and patted me on the back

okay, so that title might be a bit overkill and blasphemous, but seriously...

this chicken noodle soup right here?

it'll make you wanna slap your momma.

have no fear mom, that is just an expression meaning, do something really stupid because you are so overwhelmed. i would never want to do such a thing. even after tasting my insanely delicious soup.

first. for those of you who aren't aware: i hate cooking.

there.
i said it. and it doesn't hurt one bit.

but.

i hate even more not being able to feed my family.
which creates a bit of a conundrum.

i could go on and on about this conundrum... the vicious cycle of empty pantry and bare fridge fiascos... the time during my first year of marriage when i fed Floyd some 'dinner' and a friend at the table said, "Dude, do you want me to take you to Taco Bell?" (This kind of embarassing moment doesn't dim well for such an unconfident cook.) Anyway... like i said... i could go on and on but i won't. lest i loose some of you valuable readers forever. So...

INSERT: lightbulb-going-off-in-my-head at age almost-28, and realizing that i have SISTERS... with insanely good gifts... that i did not get. And this spotlight is gonna go to Shinny bin. The Toot. The sister 26 months older with the insanely competitive drive and goofy knees. (Sorry toot, i had to jab at you somewhere.)

So, I visit her house, and there is always a fridge, freezer and pantry just slammed full of food. But not with questionable expiration dates or random-purposeless-items. I mean, she can pull out something for every meal and fill the kids up, make the adults' bellies full, and keep her kitchen annoyingly clean while doing it. Yesterday I called her and said, "Toot, I want to make chicken noodle soup. I have chicken, broth, carrots, onions, egg noodles, but not the foggiest idea where to go from there." So she talked me through it in the most basic terms for the non-cook at heart, and i felt like, I can do this.

I did. See this pot below?



There's even a BAY leaf or two simmering in there.

HOLD ON.... I just had to refill my bowl.

So, I have decided I need to call Toot more often. Floyd will thank me. RM will thank me. And since this item is dairy free, even J-bug will be thankful when she "gets it" a few hours from now.

6 comments:

Tootie said...

Ahh, you really flatter me too much. But, you are spot on about the knees. In your own defense, may I refer to your post of Thursday, October 08, 2009 and the meal prepared there? Of your own initiative and creative whim?! Call me anytime you need a helpful push. Love you!!

Sara said...

aaahhh haha! this did my heart good... i suck at cooking. truly. i have a handful of 'go to's but i'm definitely not a daredevil in the kitchen. this looks SO GOOD. chicken noodle is one of my favorites - good job!

Marijke said...

Go ahead - slap your momma - she should have taught you better. Only thing is, she didn't get cooking jeans either. Hee Hee. I mean, genes.

The secret is, as in a lot of areas of life: WHO you know (or, in my case, what you read.) I must confess that until I start reading Taste of Home magazine, I felt pretty unconfident, too. And that was probably at age 38. But this tool uses so many easy to find ingredients and has such fabulous flavors that you won't feel like slapping me NO MO.

Beth said...

looks delish and so not true about you not being a good cook, I've had many a great salads at your house! :)

Evelyn & Floyd said...

I'm giggling to myself a bit right now and have to share: here I sit a few hours later... My tongue still burnt from my over eager tasting. God's back patting sense of humor, no?

Will and Valerie said...

It looks fantastic! I made an awesome chicken parm last night, which I realize the issues with dairy and other items in your house may not work, but still - I adore this website and all her recipes are simple and have few ingredients.

http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking

The Marlboro man sandwich, pasta alla vodka, chicken parm, you name it - all sooooooo good!