Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Recovering and Reminiscing

We are home, and thankful to be here. It was a long trip home yesterday, capped off with a wait on the tarmac while another plane sat at our gate. A very, very tired baby went to bed at 12:45am, but awoke at 7 this morning. He got food in his belly, and snuggled back to sleep from 8am -11am. He woke up for lunch and went back down at 1pm. He's RECOVERING from cousin mania. I am too. At the office though.

I love being with my sisters. It was GOOD for me to be with them: to wrangle our herd of children around the zoo or playground, to make some 56 sunbutter & jelly sandwiches with them, to see them in their homes, to watch them mother - whether that is cuddling a sad little one or running interference during a napless naptime. I treasure the fact that they don't tell me what I want to hear, they tell me what I need to hear. They challenge me and tease me. We fight over borrowed maternity clothes, and scarf down bowls of popcorn together late at night. They remind me that although we have great joys in this life, we were not made for this life, but for a far more distant shore. I was looking for some thoughts on HOPE this morning (in my sleepy stupor) and found this lovely excerpt on a blog I've never seen before. As I read it, I thought about conversations with my sisters this week, and am so grateful for the perspective they help me regain. So while the vacation wasn't a 'relaxing' week in the sun, it was a FUN filled, crazy, and character building week (in the sun!!!).

4 comments:

Sara said...

wow. this was so beautiful. thanks for sharing your sweet time :)

The Batts said...

such a great writer you are!

VDR/CMR said...

love it. just love reading it and thinking about how awesome it must be to be with sibs and all the kids. thanks for the post. hope you are feeling awesome and that y'all are doing well! - ginger

canadian aunt nancy said...

and now you know why you were continually dragged to Canada. Creating lasting relationships between your children and their cousins and you and your siblings takes work but is tremendously rewarding. I can see you enjoy it.

Love you

Nancy