Friday, September 26, 2008

happy birthday daddio



It is 11:30pm on my dad's birthday, and i didn't even get to talk to him today. Aside from feeling like a pretty lousy daughter, i missed getting to wish him a happy 61st and that really stinks. My attention has been on a big wedding tomorrow between Amy & Ole, the rehearsal day festivities, and 'keeping the faith' professionally despite the tumultuous federal bailout package currently being considered on Capitol Hill, etc.

But i'd be remiss if i didn't take just a second to say this: I have a GREAT Dad. Don't get me wrong - He's not perfect. But he's the best for me. My dad loves us kids, and is grateful God knew just what batch he needed. (Even if that was FOUR daughters before getting a son.) When we were growing up, he made it a priorety to be home after work, and to sit together at the breakfast table before the day began. Now that i'm a gainfully-employed member of society, he has an interest in what i do, and lets me know he's proud. (Even when we we might not always agree on a political strategy!)

Today he had to take some steps to protect his parents and love them in a tough way; but even in that he is showing tremendous leadership. My dad has demonstrated that marriage isn't for quiters, and he knows that his cute dutch/canadian wife is his greatest asset.

i love you daddio and i'm glad we got you. thanks for not being perfect, thanks for being real, and thanks for leading our family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Danielle's Dad! Danielle, I cried reading your sweet words. I'm grateful to know that he is so wonderful. I think that my dad and your dad would have many things in common! Praise the LORD for them.

erika said...

i completely agree with you, dan dan. we have an amazing daddio...i'm so proud of him and thankful that he's mine.

Tootie said...

hurray! hurray! hurray! three cheers . . . or four or five or sixty-one for my daddio! love you!!!