Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sufjan Stevens at the Fabulous Fox

Evelyn & Floyd ventured down to Hotlanta last night for a stunning performance by Sufjan Stevens along with My Brightest Diamond. Not having ever experienced The Fabulous Fox was enough to take in alone... but add to that a stage full of musicians (15 to be exact) performing a full orchestration of Sufjan's musical genius. If you haven't checked him out, a couple of songs I haven't heard in a while but am thoroughly enthralled by include "The Lord God Bird" and "The Transfiguration". I know that you non-music loving freaks will think that this sounds incredibly weird, but the Bird song is about the thought-to-be extinct Ivory-billed Woodpecker that was rediscovered in Arkansas. In my job, there are federal agencies that think this warrants about 2 press releases a week for the first two years after the bird has been rediscovered, thereby increasing my knowledge of the subject more than i ever would have desired. However, it is a beautiful song, and the subject matter is obviously humorous to me.

2 comments:

Evelyn & Floyd said...

Here is a clue to the amount of my musical genius: you brought your brightest diamond with you to the concert? Anyway. Enough of your galavanting around. I demand to see Jim Har. . . whatever.. . the third. -S

erika said...

WHERE IS JIM!?!?! He looked cute on the family blog. I'm dying to know--is he a permanent member of the e/f fam??